Saturday 30 June 2012

lots of miles

Dougall called and he was in bakersfield. Now, I forget what he told me about the mileage and Google tells me it's 174 miles. I think it's pretty unlikely that even a cycling whiz like Dougall could do that much before it's even remotely bedtime. So I'm not sure what route he took! He certainly told me he'd done 60 miles before lunchtime, so we'll see what he tells me tomorrow. There's been a strong wind which he's been trying to avoid by getting up super early, but this wind is still there and he's been struggling in to it. When he phoned around lunchtime, he was having some chips. Other than that, he's pretty much enjoying it all, except he did admit that yesterday during a particularly gruesome 8-mile uphill struggle, he was wondering what the hell he was doing. He still did it, though. He mentioned another puncture and another spoke breaking, but it was merely in passing, so he obviously fixed them without much problem. I think that's all the news for now.....